Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : Minutes 17/01/2012

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

Tuesday 17th January 2012

In the Chair: Brian Whalley (BW)

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Chris Waker (CW)
Ian Dixon (ID)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Doreen Schofield (DS)
John Hargreaves (JonH)

2. Apologies:

Jim Bennison (JB)
Julie Higham (JH)

Ian Burnett (IB)

3.Minutes

The Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee meeting held on Tuesday 18th November 2011 were agreed.

4. Matters Arising:

JS reported that the sponsorship monies due from Adidas and SMBC were still awaited.

ID reported that the criteria required to allocate 'community usage' for Woodley Sports needed to be determined.

CW reported that he was awaiting a quote to enable web record cards to be sent automatically to clubs for amendment/updating.

List of registered clubs is now up to date.

It was agreed that the database needs a requirement to enter a club identification number to avoid duplication of records.

5. Volunteering & Engaging Local Businesses:

Laura Murphy (SMBC Olympic Legacy Officer) attended the meeting to discuss the opportunities available for clubs to link with local businesses. Expertise was available from local companies who are able to offer assistance with finance, legal or other professional services on a pro bono basis. It would be up to individual clubs/businesses to develop the details of the assistance required. Sport Stockport could act as a facilitator to clubs in forwarding their requests to Laura for potential linkages.

6. Website:

There are currently 170 clubs registered on the website.

CW to approach Life Leisure regarding the website maintenance grant of £400 paid in previous years.

7. Sport Stockport Initiatives:

Get Coaching Stockport - The project is no longer taking applications after guidance from Greater Sport. Across the County, Get Coaching is over spent and only candidates currently going through the process for a refund will be accepted.

113 coaches have accessed £11,240.50 for Level 1 & " courses (original target 50).

166 people have accessed £4,926.00 for CPD workshops (original target of 50)

Overall spend - £16,166.50

74 clubs currently have Clubmark accreditation

22 clubs working towards accreditation

Nationally the number of clubs with accreditation has slightly decreased. We need to ensure that support is available for clubs who are going through the re-accreditation process.

16 clubs have accessed the Sport Stockport Club Development Fund - Total £6,400 spent out of an allocation of £12,000

ID is in the process of producing a funding document which can be emailed to all local clubs in order to try to increase the number of clubs applying for grant aid.

Life leisure needs to increase awareness of volunteer projects to clubs and volunteers - The Sports Makers project is designed to do this.

The School/Club link programme has been put on hold after the comprehensive spending review. Last week the Government announced a new strategy which did include targets around school/club links for 5 sports. More information will be available shortly.

8. Stockport Sports Trust - Outcome 6:

ID raised the question as to whether this meeting (Sport Stockport GP Sub) could be the main vehicle for discussing items relating to Outcome 6 of the Community Partnership Plan. This outcome focuses on voluntary sector sport and it may be easier to cascade information to local clubs via Sport Stockport. It was agreed that in principle this was a good idea. The mechanism would need to be developed as in theory (but unlikely in practice) we could be inundated with attendees who would not be eligible to attend Spport Stockport Committee meetings.

9. Club Development Fund Applications:

Applications were received as follows:

Marple Athletic Junior Football Club:

Meet all criteria and currently have 160 members

Requesting £400 to fund essential playing kit for a new under 7's team. In addition to this, the team will enter a number of tournaments to prepare them for the Charter Standard league next season.

Total cost of project £610 - will provide copies of receipts and pictures of tournaments.

Application agreed.

Stockport 2006 Cycle Speedway Club:

Meet all criteria currently working towards Clubmark accreditation

Funding required to enable the club to gain Clubmark, they require someone to attend a level 2 coaching course. In addition to this the coach is required to attend a British Cycling 1st aid workshop.

Requesting £400 but the total cost of the project is £545.00.

Club will keep copies of receipts and send a copy of the coaching certificate.

Application agreed.

Stockport Cricket Club:

Meet all criteria

The club is looking to improve the current training sessions they offer at the club. This would include the use of  video analysis and a number of the club coaches have recently completed a workshop in this area.

Requesting £400 to purchase a video camera, tripod and memory card to enable them to video practice sessions.

Total cost of the project is £435.94

Club will send copies of all receipts. If required can send copies of filmed training sessions.

Decision deferred pending receipt of further information.

10. Stockport Partnership - Forum Report:

A discussion took place regarding the outcome from the Stockport Partnership Forum meeting held previously in 2011. Papers had been circulated. This was an extensive document but the main points of interest for Sport Stockport related to the section dealing with volunteering within local clubs. Aspects of this had been addressed earlier with Laura Murphy (Agenda item 5).

11. Active Stockport Alliance:

No meeting held.

12. Any Other Business:

CW raised the question of transferring the Sport Stockport banking accounts from the Vernon Building Society to the Co-operative Bank. This would make transactions easier to deal with both deposits and payments. Most organisations now make payments via the BACS system and this was becoming unduly complicated under the present arrangements. Proposal agreed.

JonH questioned the route of the olympic torch and whether any activities are being scheduled for along its proposed route. It was felt that Sport Stockport should be involved in some manner and that we should consider appropriate activities for the occasion.

ID to email JS about route details.

CW raised the question of the Annual Awards Dinner 2012. It was agreed that ID, JonH and Laura Mylotte get together to produce a project plan. 

13. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be Tuesday 21st February 2012 at Hazel Grove Bowling & Tennis Club commencing at 7.30 p.m.

The meeting closed at 9.35 p.m.