Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 26/03/2008

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

Wednesday 26th March 2008

In the Chair: Brian Whalley (BW)

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Chris Waker (CW)
Ron Linton (RL)
Lawrence Marsland (LM)
Ian Burnett (IB)

2. Apologies:

Doreen Schofield (DS)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held on Thursday 14th February 2008 were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters arising:

Cheque for £450.00 received from SMBC for administration charges. Passed to CW.

5. Secretary's Report:

The Secretary reported on matters which had been discussed at the Executive Meeting with SMBC. The main issue was the possible transfer of Sport Development from SMBC to Stockport Sports Trust.

6. Treasurer's Report:

The Treasurer reported that he had received a letter and cheques for last year's Annual Dinner which now cleared the outstanding balances.

7. Annual Dinner Awards:

Discussion took place on the possibility of a new trophy to be awarded to a young achiever actively engaged within sporting activities from within the Stockport area (could be playing, coaching, mentoring or administrating sports) . It was agreed that the trophy would be provided by Sport Stockport and be restricted to persons under the age of 18 years on the day the award decision is made. Selection of candidates for nomination as a potential winner would be by the members of Sport Stockport and voted upon as per the Sports Personality Award. Action BH to obtain trophy.

Nothing heard from our sponsors. Action BH to follow up.

Menu and notes etc. for Dinner Programme. Action BH to prepare for the printer.

Location of trophies. Action BW to track down current holders.

Secondary School Sports Committee (nomination and numbers attending). Action JS to contact for name of award winner and number of dinner tickets required.

8. Stockport Sport Development Community Fund:

Applications were considered from the Development Groups applying for funding for 2008/9 financial year.

Cricket Group - clarification required on number of courses, how many attendees, overall beneficiaries etc. to establish cost effectiveness. JS to follow up.

Basketball - check on current bank details. JS to follow up.

In total the applications amounted to slightly over £8,000. Action JS to contact SMBC to establish funding allocation.

9. Funding Requests:

JS reported receipt of some requests for funding from individuals and from clubs/schools. After discussion it was agreed that direct funding of individuals or specific school teams could set a difficult precedent particularly as future funding was subject to the SDCF procedure.

10. Sports Trust:

Nothing to report.

11. SPAA Update:

Nothing to report.

12. Website:

CW reported on the current situation. It is hoped that something will be available for the AGM.

13. Any Other Business:

Members of the Sub Committee were requested to let BH have their preferred candidates for the Sports Personality Award in the order of preference 1,2 and 3. If clear winner then no further action required.

A question was raised about progress on the Dialstone Centre Development. Action JS to contact SMBC.

14. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday 8th May 2008 at Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club.

The meeting closed at 9:35 p.m.