Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 16/01/2008

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

Wednesday 16th January 2008

In the Chair: Brian Whalley (BW)

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Chris Waker (CW)
Patrick Bailey (PB)

2. Apologies:

Ron Linton (RL)
Neil Bardsley (NB)
Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Lawrence Marsland (LM)
Doreen Schofield (DS)

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held on Wednesday 5th December 2007 were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters arising:

Regarding the planning application that had been sent to Peter Howarth for comment it was considered that the flow of information should be from SMBC to Sport Stockport and then on to Peter for any technical comments. Action JS.

In response to the earlier query regarding the amount of funding available to Sport Stockport for administration the answer was " no fixed allocation .. need to apply for funding to SMBC as required". Further question raised as to whether the application was in advance or retrospective. Action PB to respond. CW also agreed to speak to Gavin.

5. Secretary's Report:

JS reported on the main issues raised at the Executive Meeting held on 12 December 2007.

Discussion took place on the paper produced by SMBC and the Audit Commission on sport development within Stockport. Sport Stockport invited to comment on the findings. Action JS to submit response in collaboration with BW.

The dates for future Executive Meetings have been fixed as:

Wednesday 20 February 2008 - Committee Room 3, Stockport Town Hall

Wednesday 4 June 2008 - Committee Room 3, Stockport Town Hall

Wednesday 10 September 2008 - Committee Room 2, Stockport Town Hall

Wednesday 10 December 2008 - Committee Room 2, Stockport Town Hall

JS submitted a request from Rope Race (a company based in Marple providing climbing and a multi activity centre) to link to the website. Action JS to arrange.

6. Treasurer's Report:

CW reported that a membership form had been received from Trinity Cricket Club.

7. Stockport Sport Development Community Fund (SDCF):

Additional information from the Basketball Group relating to the breakdown of the proposed expenditure had not been received. It was agreed to extend the deadline until 31 January 2007 at which time, if no information available, the un-allocated funds would be distributed between the Hockey and Bowls Development Groups. Action PB to contact Ian Dixon.

Invitations for the 2008/09 allocation would be sent out to the Development Groups by JS for return by end February. In order to reach clubs that are not attached to a Development Group it was suggested that an article in the local paper may assist. JS to contact Simon Smedley.

8. Sports Trust:

Nothing to report.

9. SPAA Update:

Nothing to report.

10. Stockport School of Gymnastics:

Some discussion took place regarding the report on the Blackstone Park Development. It was not clear what we were being invited to comment on. Action JS to contact Mike Healey.

11. Nominations for Awards.

BH produced a large wad of press cuttings relating to local sportsmen and women which needs further study to arrive at a shortlist of potential candidates for the awards. Action BH to consider the list further (with assistance from BW) for consideration at the next meeting.

Some discussion took place on the possibility of Sport Stockport providing an award for Under 21's (which could cover achievement in any sporting activity. playing, coaching, mentoring etc). Agreed to proceed.

12. Website:

CW, BH and JS reported on a meeting held regarding the revamp of the website. It was agreed to proceed with the development work outlined and engage Salford University to undertake the work involved.

13. Any Other Business:

None

14. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday 14th February 2008 at Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club. The main agenda item will be consideration of the sporting awards.

Following meeting 7:30 p.m. Wednesday 26 March 2008 at the Hazel Grove venue.

The meeting closed at 9:45 p.m.