Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 04/10/2007

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

Thursday 4th October 2007

In the Chair: Brian Whalley

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Chris Waker (CW)
Ron Linton (RL)
Patrick Bailey (PB)

2. Apologies:

Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Lawrence Marsland (LM)
Neil Bardsley (NB)
Doreen Schofield (DS)

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held on Thursday 2nd August 2007 were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters arising:

Consideration was given to how best to proceed with developing a new logo for Sport Stockport. It was agreed that development should be through some form of community involvement but before proceeding we need to be absolutely clear on what we do and what we stand for.

PB referred to the Wigan Sport Council website he also mentioned the website of Worthington. Action include as an item on the agenda for the next meeting.

5. Secretary's Report:

Nothing to report that was not covered elsewhere in the Agenda.

6. Treasurer's Report:

CW reported that to date expenditure amounted to £448.68 mainly on stationary, renewal of the website licences and the AGM. Currently there are 26 affiliated Clubs.

7. Stockport Sport Development Community Fund (SDCF):

PB had updated the application forms for funding and the revised copies were circulated. Some slight amendments were suggested prior to general release.

It was agreed that due to the slippage that had occurred during the preparations of the revised system for funding the timetable for the current years allocation of grants should be revised as follows.

Revised forms to be prepared by 8th October 2007. Action PB

Development Groups to be circulated with new forms and advised of new timetable for submission. Action JS

Closing date for receipt of funding bids 30th November 2007.

Consideration of submitted applications by Sport Stockport GP Sub-Committee 5th December 2007.

8. Development Groups - Contacts:

PB circulated a list of current Development Group contacts. List to be published on the website. Action JS.

9. Frontline Sports - Development Groups:

PB circulated a list of frontline sports presently being covered by Stockport Council. The list contained 17 sports of which 13 are recognised as priority sports by Sport England.

Sport England

Priority Sports

Stockport Sports

Development

Stockport Council

Lead Officer

     
Athletics Athletics * Don Hale
Badminton Badminton Sue Molynuex
  Basketball Neil Bardsley
  Bowls * Patrick Bailey
Canoeing    
Cricket Cricket * Don Hale
Cycling Cycling Patrick Bailey
Equestrian    
Football Football Neil Bardsley
Gymnastics    
Golf Golf Neil Bardsley
Hockey Hockey * Sam Barton
Judo    
  Lacrosse * Sam Barton
Netball Netball Sue Molynuex
Rowing    
Rugby League Rugby League Neil Bardsley
Rugby Union Rugby Union Neil Bardsley
Sailing    
Squash Squash Sue Molynuex
Swimming Swimming  
  Table Tennis Patrick Bailey
Tennis Tennis Sue Molynuex
Triathlon    

An * against a sport denotes that a Development Group is established within Stockport.

10. Sports Trust:

Nothing to report.

11. SPAA Update:

Nothing to report.

12. Stockport School of Gymnastics:

A discussion paper prepared by Phil Richardson and Mike Healey had been forwarded for consideration. The paper was a comprehensive document setting out proposals for a bespoke facility with a business case etc. Action Committee Members to study and discuss at the next meeting.

13. William Scholes Development:

There was genuine delight that the development is proceeding but there was disquiet expressed about the method of notification (i.e. via the local press) and not as a direct communication from Stockport Council.

14. Application for Financial Assistance:

An application for financial assistance was considered. However as the funding was required for an individual as opposed to a Development Group or Club the request could not be pursued. Action JS to advise applicant.

15. Website:

A letter requesting town twinning arrangements with Clubs in Heilbron was circulated. It was agreed to publish the letter on the website. Action JS.

A copy of Funding News (published by Stockport Council) was circulated. It was agreed to publish the letter on the website. Action JS.

It was agreed to publish the revised SDCF forms on the website. Action JS.

Stockport Council is presently updating the CISS database. Sport Stockport details to be revised. Action JS.

16. Any Other Business:

Reference was made to the rumoured development of the former Mirrlees site in Hazel Grove. More information is required before any action can be considered.

Report that indiscriminate tipping is taking place on a field in Reddish Vale. Action PB to follow up.

Query on the present situation regarding the Stockport Sports Plus Club Award. Action PB to investigate.

17. Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday 5th December 2007 at Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

The meeting closed at 10:05 p.m.