Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 02/08/2007

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club

Thursday 2nd August 2007

In the Chair: Brian Whalley

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Doreen Schofield (DS)
Lawrence Marsland (LM)
Patrick Bailey (PB)

2. Apologies:

Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Chris Waker (CW)
Ron Linton (RL)
Neil Bardsley (NB)

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held on Thursday 3rd May 2007 were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters arising:

Marple Cricket Club - application for funding made for repairs following vandalism but nothing has transpired. When originally considered the system was due to be changed and the Sports Council had no funding left at that time. It was considered that the application should be resubmitted in the new year under the new format. Secretary to advise. Action JS

Cheadle Hulme Sports Centre - nothing had been received regarding the alleged accident at Cheadle Hulme. No report had been received and it was reported that the situation was progressing through formal legal channels. No further action required.

Manchester Harriers - planning appeal regarding the storage container. The temporary planning permission for the storage container has expired and the Council will not agree to a further extension. It was reported that the new pavilion has not been rebuilt but there is storage space available within the existing William Scholes building. Space is available for Manchester Harriers to use but it is not quite as convenient a location. No further action required.

North Reddish Action Group - letter to be sent in response to original request for assistance in November 2006 advising that the Council has confirmed that the site was always designated for a school and a football pitch will be incorporated within the development available for community use. Action JS.

AGM - disappointing turnout despite number of invitations sent out.

Annual Dinner - sponsorship not yet finalised. Discussion on whether to include a link to main sponsor on the website. Action BH.

5. Secretary's Report:

JS reported that the website hosting contract had been renewed for a further 2 years until July 2009 together with the use of the domain name.

A discussion ensued about the content of the website and the need for members and Clubs to forward items of interest for inclusion on the website. News items would be of particular interest together with links to the Development Groups sites (if these exist).

Agreed that an example of a completed application form for funding under the new criteria should be incorporated into the site.

It was agreed that a possible topic for a workshop would be to advise on setting up a Club Accreditation application for Clubmark registration. It was reported that Stockport Council has a generic Clubmark Accreditation form suitable for use by Clubs whose governing body do not have an approved Sport England scheme.

A suggestion was made that we could incorporate a sports quiz on the website. This requires further consideration as to who will research and set the questions, who will mark it and whether any prizes will be offered.

JS reported the need to obtain stocks of new headed notepaper for Sport Stockport (name change - see Item 7) and develop a new logo to reflect the new identity. It was suggested that we could run a competition to devise a logo via the schools network with appropriate prizes for the winners. Action require further consideration.

6. Treasurer's Report:

Nothing to report at this time.

7. Matters arising from the AGM:

Name Change - at the AGM it was proposed that the name be changed from Stockport Sports Council to Sport Stockport. This proposal was agreed unanimously by those present at the AGM. A question was raised as to whether advance notice should have been given and if so was an Extra Ordinary General meeting required to effect the change. The Secretary advised that the Constitution could only be changed by a majority vote at the AGM (which had been obtained) but there was no requirement to give advance notice of any proposed motions to alter the Constitution. It was therefore considered that the name of Sport Stockport could be used in the future and further that there was no conflict with other sporting bodies i.e. Sport England etc.

Communication with Clubs - recognised as a problem area as demonstrated by the poor turnout at the AGM. PB and JS to liaise to establish a comprehensive list of Clubs within Stockport area. Action PB & JS

Funding initiatives from Stockport Area for SPAA submission - see Item 8.

Application Timetable for funding bids - documents A to F to be re-issued with the name changed to Sport Stockport and the typing errors corrected. Action PB

8. SPAA update:

BH gave a comprehensive update on the progress being made by the Stockport Area SPAA Board. An audit is to be carried out borough wide by local authority staff to establish where there are gaps in provision (not only in sport but other activities encouraging physical exercise)

16 proposals had been put forward which were judged against the 5 criteria. Of the 16 proposals 6 came out top with a further 3 possibles. A strategic document is under preparation to support the 6 + 3 with a view to applying for the maximum amount of funding of £269k. Must remember that money is on a 2:1 match funding basis.

Wigan Area have submitted their bid with Stockport and 4 other areas ready for submission in the next batch (December 2007) with a view for fund release by April 2008.

9. Stockport Partnership Forum:

YS gave a detailed account of a meeting of the Stockport Partnership Forum which she had attended as a Sport Stockport representative. A wide range of groups were represented and an in depth discussion took place about the possible development of Stockport up to 2012. It was stated that Stockport consists of 45% green space and there is no intention to reduce this facility by building in the green belt. Great emphasis was placed on developments which integrated society and the facilities. The outcome from the meeting would be used to inform the Stockport Local Development Framework.

10. Development Groups:

It was established that Development Groups exist for hockey, athletics, bowls, basketball and cricket. Sports Development Officers at the Council are responsible for servicing these groups. In total there are 16 front line sports supported by the Council's Sport Development Officers. Details of the Development Group contacts and the responsibilities of the Development Officers as champions for the 16 front line sports need to be provided. Action PB.

11. Sports Trust:

BH reported that she had attended the AGM and Board Meeting where the accounts had been presented together with the Auditor's report. The Trust is financially sound. John Howarth had retired in March and the new CE has introduced a more commercial approach supported by a good development plan. Performance reviews were being undertaken of staff at all of the centres. No discussion about possible price increases. The next centre for upgrading is likely to be Cheadle following the success at Hazel Grove.

12. Any Other Business:

Bowling Festival to be held in Alexandra Park from 17th to 26th August. Free coaching would be available every day (Mon-Fri) between 11.00 a.m. and 1.00 p.m. Sport Stockport provides a trophy for the Junior Competition. BH to present on Wednesday 22nd. Action BH.

Sports Camps promoted by Stockport Council were to be held over the next 6 weeks during the school holidays.

JS reported that the Bowling Development Group are in the process of developing links between local schools and Bowling Clubs in conjunction with Stockport Council to encourage school children to participate in bowling as part of a curricular activity.

13. Date of next meeting:

Date and venue of the next meeting is 7:30 p.m. on Thursday 4th October 2007 at Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club.

Meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.