Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 15/11/2006

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

Stockport Town Hall

Wednesday 15th November 2006

In the Chair: Brian Whalley

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Chris Waker (CW)
Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Jeff Shaw (JS)
Doreen Schofield (DS)
Laurence Marsland (LM)

2. Apologies:

Alex Heritage (AH)
Neil Bardsley (NB)
Ron Linton

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held on Wednesday 11 October 2006 were agreed as a true record.

4. Matters arising:

BH reported that the minutes of the GP Sub Committee meeting held on 8th August 2006 were being prepared for inclusion on the website.

SPAA - the criteria for grants was not to hand. Therefore the members present at the meeting would be unable to consider their content. (A hard copy was handed out - it was agreed to review the contents at the next meeting of GP Sub Committee).

CW reminded members that it was necessary to look at the criteria and application forms together to obtain a full picture of the proposals.

5. Correspondance:

A letter had been received from the North Reddish Action Group relating to proposed development works by Stockport MBC which would mean the loss of a full size football pitch. It was intended that the pitch would be replaced by a 'managed pitch' within the school facility. The letter was eliciting support to resist the proposals. It was agreed that more information was required before responding. EC to forward details of the Chief Executive of the Manchester Football Association to BS to enable her to forward the letter. It was also agreed to ask SMBC for comments on their proposals. BH to acknowledge receipt of the letter from the North Reddish Action Group.

Letter received from Ian Burnett - Manchester Harriers and Athletics Club requesting support for an extension of the temporary planning permission for the containers at William Scholes which are used for storage of equipment. When the new facility is provided storage facilities will be available within the development. It was agreed to support the application.

6. SPAA feedback:

BH reported on her attendance at the SPAA (Sport and Physical Activity Alliance) inaugural meeting held on Monday 13 November 2006. There were lots of new faces in attendance indicating a much wider interest group. It was reported that the timescale to get to a position where application for funding was available was extremely tight. There would be £280,000 available over a 3 year period but because of the delays with the hieracy almost one of the years had already elapsed. The new propsals indentified that match funding would be on the basis of a ratio 2:1 but the applicants share could be in the form of facilities or work in kind. The North West Regional Sports Board will adjudicate on applications received.

There is a need to consider projects that are ongoing but are currently stymied due to lack of funding.

The next meeting will be held in 3 weeks time in the form of a workshop (possibly to be held in an afternoon) all are welcome to attend.

BH to prepare a summary document for circulation.

7. Stockport Sports Trust:

BH had applied to become a member of the SST Board. The application will be considered for ratification at the meeting on 28th November 2006.

8. Financial Matters:

CW produced a document showing the spending profile over the last 3 years. The chart showed an overall overspend of £1,040.40 which was in contrast to the allegation by SMBC that the Sports Council had not been allocating all its available funding.

It was reported that in future SMBC will administer the funding based on recommendations made by the Sports Council. Recipients of grant aid will need to demonstrate to SMBC that monies have been spent in accordance with their application for funding. The disbursment of balances held by the Sports Council will need to be determined at a future meeting.

BH to write to the two outstanding applicants for grant aided funding explaining the position.

9. Website:

BH to check whether the minutes of Executive Committe meetings could be incorporated onto the website.

A discusion took place on the content of the website. JS explained the work involved in building up the basic information relating to existing Clubs, contact details and meeting and/or playing facilities. It was agreed that until a substantial part of the existing sporting network within Stockport was identified it would be premature to start looking for potential sponsorship etc.

It was agreed that the application forms for grant aid would be made available as a 'word' document that could be filled in on screen and then sent directly to the Secretary as an attachment to an e-mail. It was considered premature to have a direct entry format at this stage as it would mean revising the arrangements with the web service provider.

10. Annual Dinner:

A date had been previously agreed as Friday 20th April 2007. BH reported that the Mayor and Mayoress of Stockport would be in attendance and there was need to investigate a suitable speaker. This year there would be approximately 12 official guests.

Agreed to advertise details of the dinner on the website when full deatils are to hand.

11. AOB:

BH reported that Peter Howarth has had a set back following the operation on his shoulder. He had been re-admitted to hospital but was now back home. BH to keep in touch with Hilda and keep members informed of Peter's progress.

It was reported that the community use of Marple Ridge School sports hall facility was due to be withdrawn as were the indoor sports hall facilities at Ridge Danyers College in Cheadle.

Mile End School - the existing facility for table tennis had been withdrawn and the new facility in the sports hall was not available for community use.

Members need to consider nominations for the 'Sports Personality of the Year'.

12. Date of Next Meeting:

Thursday 11 January 2007 at 7.00pm at Hazel Grove Bowling and Tennis Club (availability to be confirmed)

With no other business the meeting closed at 8.40 pm