Page content Site navigation
Sitemap
Stockport Sports

Documents : 10/11/2006

Minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committee Meeting held at

West Heaton Bowling Tennis and Squash Club

Wednesday 11th October 2006

In the Chair: Brian Whalley

1. Members in attendance:

Brenda Hopkins (BH)
Chris Waker (CW)
Eddie Crabtree (EC)
Yvonne Spurrell (YS)
Alex Heritage (AH)
Neil Bardsley (NB)
Laurence Marsland (LM)

2. Apologies:

Jeff Shaw
Doreen Schofield
Ron Linton

3. Minutes:

The minutes of the General Purposes Sub Committtee Meeting held on Tuesday 8 August 2006 need reconstructing before adding to the website. BH agreed to have them distributed to members within the next 2 weeks.

4. Minutes Secretary:

AH reported that the Local Authority could not provide a Minute Secretary for our meetings but would be able to offer financial support. All members were asked to try and come up with a solution.

5. SPAA:

The amended document summarising the ‘Role of SSC' was accepted.

With regards to financial support of the Development Groups/Clubs the LA are to provide revised criteria and forms that will be reviewed at the next GP Sub meeting. AH to email BH with copies for distribution.

Applications for financial assistance will be accepted twice a year.

The point was raised about funding for the year 2006/07 that had not yet been received from the LA.

AH stated that because SSC had not allocated all of the previous year's grant, further grants would not be forthcoming.

A long debate followed relating to balances held by SSC against monies issued to Development Groups from SSC reserved funds.

It was finally agreed that CW would produce a spreadsheet covering the past 3 years that would clearly illustrate how the LA grant had been dispensed. At which point it was hoped that the LA would issue sufficient funds to deal with financial applications until the start of the next financial year.

With regards to a SSC representative to join the SPAA board, BW confirmed that someone would attend the inaugural meeting for which two dates have been suggested 19th or 30th of October. Each member was asked to consider volunteering for this post.

6. Stockport Sports Trust Representation:

BH reported on her discussions with John Howarth. The SST are very keen to have SSC represented on the board and BH has agreed to apply to the SST for membership.

7. Bank Account:

With the imminent changes to the administration of grant aid to Development Groups/Clubs CW suggested that the current banking arrangements should remain unchanged. All agreed.

8. Development Groups - Financial Applications:

Two application were considered

  • Athletics Development Group – agreed £790.00
  • Hockey Development Group – agreed £900.00

    Unfortunately due to the earlier debate on the financial position it will not be possible to forward these grants.

9. Clubs – Financial Applications:

One application was considered Marple Cricket Club – as the season has now ended and the application was for repairs, it was suggested that they re-apply in 2007.

NB: regarding points 8 & 9 no communication will go out to the groups or club until the financial position has been resolved.

10. Website:

With Jeff Shaw unable to attend the meeting no update was presented, though members expressed concern about the level of information on the website.

LM agreed to collate all the cricket information.

EC agreed to collate all the football information

11. Annual Dinner:

A date was agreed as Friday 20th April 2007 . BH made comment about the level of support we may receive from Biostat (formally Cedar Health) and therefore our ability to engage a professional speaker. She will contact Robert Smith shortly to assess the situation. YS said she would also contact a member of Poynton Sports Club who had been a speaker at Club dinners.

12. Peter Howarth:

Earlier in the meeting LM had told members of Peter's hospitalisation and condition. The latest news from Hilda is that Peter is now on a rehabilitation ward to promote motion in his limbs. He is generally well but ‘bored'. Anyone wishing to visit may do so, preferably in the evening. He is in Macclesfield General.

BW updated everyone on the visit to Geldart Gallery that he and BH had paid last week. They had seen a pencil drawing of Astbury Village green and as this is Peter's home it seemed a good choice. BW and BH took a drive out to the village to discover that Peter's house sits adjacent to the green and is therefore quite likely to be on the picture.

Until Peter is up and about, we cannot organise a presentation. BH is keeping in weekly contact with Hilda to monitor progress.

13. Date of Next Meeting:

Wednesday 15th November 2006 at 6.30pm in the Town Hall

14. Any Other Business:

AH handed out a copy of a news article relating to ‘Spotlight on Sport' and also an A6 flier.

 

With no other business the meeting closed at 9.10pm